Is your Microsoft Access slow? Is it taking a lot of time to get loaded or perform any task? If you are dealing with such issues, you must know the underlying causes of the Access database slowdown. You need to know how to get over the root causes of the slow-running database. Slow performance of Access is quite common for those working with it.
When MS Access runs slow, it gives rise to many problems when you operate the Access database like display or error messages when you try to open any files and, in some cases, file not getting opened at all. Hence Access speed must get a boost. It would help avoid the loss of Access data that may occur due to slow databases and the loss of work and productivity.
What Causes Slow Database?
As time passes, the database’s file size increases, and when it exceeds the storage limitations, it starts to perform slowly. Another reason is the file getting corrupted or damaged due to virus infection, sudden shutdown of the system, and improper exit of the application. If the database file is corrupted, then it will not open or will throw various error messages. It will have an impact on performance.
How to Improve Performance?
- If you disable or eliminate the sub-datasheets, it can help. Usually, MS-Access displays the sub-datasheets between the table by default. However, they slow things down. If you are not working on the datasheet view, you can disable the feature, open the table in the design view and open the table’s property sheet by clicking on it. Show or hide the group in the design tab.
- Let Access help you. It has utilities that suggest improving performance. Use the performance analyzer to list all the potential problems. It also gives suggestions to correct them. It helps you to analyze all the objects or some objects in the database. Table analyzer is another useful utility. It helps the users to normalize the database performance in an overall sense. The utilities are simple to run, and the users should apply the suggestions without any help.
- Reduce the size of graphics can also help. If there are a lot of graphics, it will consume the resources and also degrade the performance. Linking is better than embedding, but the users would not know how to link graphic files outside of the database.
- Split the database. MS Access saves data and user interface objects in a single place. However, as per some developers, if these singles files are split into two places, one with user interface and the other with data leads to better performance. User work in the front end consists of the user interface objects that recover the data as needed that are linked from the database. Splitting the database improves performance, but it is not always the case. If there is only one user, it can be split easily. However, if there are many users, you need to tell the users to save the local system’s ends to prevent the issues.
- Adjust the Virtual Memory Settings. The operating system uses the default virtual memory for the best performance. Hence, by making adjustment setting in the virtual memory, the Access database speed can be given a boost
- Compact the Database Regularly. The compacting database doesn’t compact the database, but it deletes the unwanted and unused objects and records, reducing the size of database files.
So, if the Microsoft Access slow is the problem that you are facing, you should use these ideas and get better performance. Start using these right away.
For more articles visit this website