“Outlook Running Slow” Issue
Read this article in order to know how to fix Outlook Running Slow issues on Windows where you can find reasons for it and solutions.
Email is an important part of our everyday lives, does not matter if it is individuals or even in business, as well as for IT administrators or managers, if an email does not work or it works very slow, this can be a difficult task because it stops communication, so their job is to restore and run it.
The outlook is currently the typical standard mail client in the business world, which usually works pretty well, but all this does not go without problems in its work.
Among the bunch of problems that users have is the slow operation of Outlook in Windows 10, which is very frustrating, or the knowledge that everything you do in Outlook will be overwhelming.
When performance issues occur in Outlook, it can be caused by a damaged .pst file, a broken add-in, a damaged profile, and even a problem with Outlook.
However, frustrating Outlook slow work on Windows 10 should not be big trouble for you. You can use some of the solutions we will describe below and start normal communication for your business or remote work.
Sometimes a crash occurs, and Outlook loads slowly and eventually does not start or suddenly stops working. There are, of course, reasons for this, which we will analyze below and try to eliminate.
What to do in this situation? Let’s try to cope without clearing:
1. The First Thing to Do is to Update Drivers:
Often the reason behind the issue of slow running of Outlook is outdated drivers. Update the drivers with the best driver updater Bit Driver Updater which will do all work for you It will improve the performance, stability, and security of your PC.
2. Apart from that Install the Outlook Update:
Microsoft released specifically to solve the problem of slowness Outlook when working with large mail archives. This update is not a panacea, but Outlook is starting to run noticeably faster.
If the first point is completed, and Outlook still slows down, we will investigate further.
- Check the operation of the antivirus, update it, or, best of all, temporarily disable it for testing at all. Then you can turn it on, but you will be sure that it has nothing to do with it.
- By the way, but maybe Outlook slows down only when receiving mail? It happens that the attached file is simply gigantic in size, then there are two possible solutions – to wait (and then save this file and delete the letter), or if you have access to the main web interface, delete it directly from the server.
- Does the Exchange server work fine? Has it updated to SP2?
- It is extremely rare, but sometimes this happens due to a failure in the exchange storage, either checking it with a fix or reconstructing the user, and importing pre-exported letters helps.
- Look at the system logs. There are probably warning messages!
3. Open Outlook in Safe Mode:
When you try to enter the program, but you see a window with the message Cannot start the Microsoft Office Outlook application, the closing process may have occurred incorrectly earlier (for example, the computer turned off unexpectedly when the mail client was opened). Try the following steps:
- Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete to call the Task Manager;
- Click on the inscription Outlook and select Cancel task;
- restart the computer;
- Press Win + R – a small window appears with an empty line, into which you need to drive the phrase Outlook / safe.
All this is done so that the program starts in Safe Mode. Now it can be closed, as usual, and reopened in the usual way. Everything should work fine.
4. Disable or Remove All Outlook Add-ins that You are Not Using:
Some add-ons do a lot of calculations for each highlighted item, others work when creating and sending messages. If several add-ons are installed, each of them will do the same work several times. It is better to have one universal solution for Outlook from one manufacturer than many from different ones if they do the same.
5. It is Noticed that the Fewer Messages in Folders, the Faster Outlook Works:
Therefore, keep as few messages as possible in your working folders. In addition, the fewer messages in a folder, the more attention is paid to the most important of them. There is nothing worse than a large number of messages in one heap. Each time you spend a lot of extra time to look through the same messages. Try to keep the rule that your inbox should always be empty. Here are some tricks to follow this rule:
- Sort messages. For each department or large event, you can create a separate folder. In this folder are subfolders for employees, customers, or financial documents. It is sometimes useful to create subfolders by year and month. This allows you to quickly find the data you need, as well as immediately move messages from the Inbox without thinking about what to do next with the new message. Do not move messages to folders like Unsorted, later you still have to spend time sorting them.
- Answer immediately. Try to reply to messages as quickly as possible. All messages in the Inbox must be processed during the day. After replying to the message, move it to the desired folder and forget about it. The only inconvenience of a large number of folders is that Outlook is not able to search for folders by name.
- Remove excess immediately. If the message is not related to work or does not require a response, delete it immediately. Believe me, you will not be interested in a year or two messages like “Let’s meet in the evening” or “Do not forget to congratulate your parents.”
- Use the Message expiration date. If this is a newsletter, but the message Not valid after a week in advance and move it to the Newsletters folder. To do this quickly, you can use the Set Message Archiving Settings utility. In the settings for auto-archiving this folder, specify Delete old items permanently and after the expiration date, these messages will be automatically deleted.
- Delete duplicates. For various reasons, duplicate items are generated in Outlook. These may be failures in receiving mail, unsuccessful synchronization, some errors when copying messages. We have a large set of utilities for removing duplicates. Duplicates can be deleted, moved, marked with categories or a flag. There is also a report that shows the presence of duplicates in folders.
- Export messages. If you don’t want to delete messages, but the place is running out, use the utilities from the set for export and import. After saving messages to disk or cloud storage, you can safely delete them. By the way, if you save messages to text files, it is very easy to search for them using standard Windows tools.
6. Outlook File Sizes:
Check the sizes of .pst and .ost files on the computer. In the event that the size of these files exceeds 10-20 GB, there may be problems with the performance of Outlook. It is not recommended to exceed these values.
7. Verifying PST File Integrity with scanpst.exe Utility:
Slow Outlook performance may be due to a violation of the integrity or structure of PST / OST files. It is recommended to check these files and fix errors in them using the built-in utility – scanpst.exe (Inbox Repair Tool).
For more articles visit this website